You can configure a workflow of Matter Tasks (such as sending an opening letter to a client, or contacting a relevant government entity) to automatically generate when creating a Matter.
These workflows can be set to run when any new Matter is created, when a Matter with a specific Practice Area is created, or when a Matter's Stage is updated.
(View the Configure and Edit Practice Areas article for more information.)
Creating Matter Workflows
To create a Matter Workflow:
- On the sidebar, select System ().
- Under Matters, select Matter Workflows.
- In the Matter Workflows page, select the Actions menu of a Workflow to open, edit, or delete the Matter Workflow.
Select the Name of a Matter Workflow to add or edit Tasks on the Workflow (view Step 6 for more information).
- To create a new Matter Workflow, select Create Matter Workflow.
- In the window that opens, enter a Name, select one or more Practice Areas from the dropdown list (or select "All" to apply to all Practice Areas), then select either Matter Created or Stage Changed in the Workflow Type field.
Selecting Matter Created triggers the Workflow when a Matter is created; selecting Stage Changed triggers the workflow when a Matter's Stage is changed (for example, when a Matter is changed from "Active" to "Closed"; view the Configure and Edit Practice Areas article for more information.)
Please note, if Stage Changed is selected, a mandatory Stage field will appear; select a Stage from the dropdown list for the Workflow to apply to.
When all fields are filled, select OK.
Please note, you cannot add Tasks to the Workflow from this window; view Step 6 for this process.
- Once the workflow is created, select its Name; this will open the Workflow's Task Templates page.
The Task Templates page displays all Tasks in the Workflow; select the Actions menu to edit or delete a Task in the workflow, or select Create Task Template to add a new Task.
- Enter a Description, then set a Priority, Status, assign a Contact Type (which Role the Task will be assigned to in the Matter) and set the Due Date.
Please note, you can set a Due Date to occur either on the Matter's Creation Date or Estimated Date of Completion, or to occur a set number of Days, Weeks, or Months before or after these dates.
To set a Task's due date to occur prior to a certain date, enter a negative number (such as "-1", "-5", etc.) in the Add or Minus field.
You can also select Trigger Date in the Due Date field; this will set the Workflow to trigger when a Matter's Stage is changed to a Stage the Matter Workflow relates to.
Please note, this will only trigger the Workflow once. For example, if a Workflow is configured to trigger when a Matter's Stage is changed from "Active" to "Inactive", changing the Matter's Stage from "Inactive" back to "Active", then back to "Inactive" will not trigger the Workflow a second time.
When all fields are complete, select OK. Repeat this process as needed to add additional Tasks to a Matter Workflow.