Document Templates are Microsoft Word files uploaded to, and merged with data from, mattero.
(View the Upload Files as Document Templates article for more information.)
Document Templates can contain a variety of information fields, and can be created for Matters and Contacts.
Please note, the process shown below is for a Matter, however the same process can be applied for Contacts.
Creating Documents from a Template
To create a Document from a Template:
- Select the Documents tab on a Matter or Contact, then select New and Document From Template.
- Select a Template. Please note, this field autocompletes; writing the first letters of a Template will search for a list of matching Templates.
Further, once the Template is selected, all variables applied to the Document will display in the "Variables in the Document" window that appears.
Also, you must clear this field to search for a new Template. Select the Clear (x) icon to clear the search field.
- Fill out any fields that appear when the Template is selected as needed.
- The Document Title generates automatically from the Template; edit this as needed.
- Select Tags for the Document (or enter new Tags) as needed.
Please note, Document Tags provide greater flexibility in sorting, filtering, and classifying your Documents in mattero; any Tags set on the Template are applied to any Documents created via this Template.
- Select Save as Word or Save as PDF as needed.
- Select Save and Preview to open a preview panel display of the Document with all variables highlighted (this version will not be saved to mattero).
Alternatively, select Save and Merge to generate the Document and save it to the Documents tab of the Matter.
Please note, if Save and Merge is selected, the variables will not be highlighted in the final version.
Word Template, File, Fields, Variables, Layout