If a Word, Excel, or PowerPoint document is uploaded to mattero to be used as Document Template, it can be edited and updated to include new information as needed.
Please note, you must have Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint installed on your device to edit a Document.
Editing Document Templates
To edit a Document Template:
- On the sidebar, select System ().
- Under Documents, select Document Templates.
- Select the Actions menu for a Document Template, then select Edit in Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
- The document will open in its application; you will be required to sign in to your mattero account to proceed. Enter your details, or use the Microsoft or Google authentication options as preferred, then enable editing as needed.
- In mattero, select the Available Fields tab, then select an option from the Preview Entity dropdown menu; this will display a list of fields for the various Document types mattero offers (Invoices, Deposits, Receipts, etc.).
Please note, entering a Matter's details in the "Enter a Matter number or title" option will display a preview of that Matter's data for the various fields available.
- A list of variable fields will display depending on the Preview Entity type you select; please note, the correct field must be used in the correct Document Template or the file will not display correctly.
For example, Matter fields can only be used for Matter Document Templates, Invoice fields can only be used for Invoice Document Templates, and so on.
Matter fields are used for templates created in the Documents tab of a Matter.
Contact fields are used for templates created in the Documents tab of a Contact, and templates created within the Contact tab of a Matter.
Invoice fields are used for templates created in the Invoices tab of a Matter or Contact.
Deposit, Payment, Receipt, and Trust Statement fields are used for templates created in the Trust Ledger page.
Brief Title Page fields are used when exporting a Brief as a PDF.
Financial Statement fields are used when creating a Matter Financial Statement.
- Select the Copy () icon on a given field, then paste it into the Word document where you want the data to display.
Please note, to ensure the field is copied correctly, always use the Copy icon, and do not highlight and copy the text directly from the page.
- When all the required information has been added to your Document Template, save the file in Word/Excel/PowerPoint; this will automatically update the file in mattero.
Adding Tags to a Document Template
If needed, you can also add Document Tags to the Template's file; this will automatically attach the Tags to the file in mattero as well.
For more information on Document Tags, view the Configure Document Tags article.
Tags can be added either via Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, or via mattero.
To add Document Tags to a file via mattero:
- On the Documents page, or in the Documents tab of a Matter or Contact, select the Action menu of a Document, then select Modify Details.
- Select Add Tags and either select an existing Tag from the dropdown menu that appears, or enter a new Tag.
- When all Tags are entered, select Save.
Alternatively, to add Document Tags to a file via its application:
- In Word/Excel/PowerPoint, select File, then Info.
- In the Properties section, select Tags, then enter your chosen Document Tags as needed.
- When all relevant Document Tags are entered, save the file in Word; this will automatically update the file in mattero.