Once an Invoice is created, discounts can be applied to the Time Records, however Invoices can only be edited or adjusted when they are in a Draft state. (For more information on creating an Invoice, view the Create Invoices and Create Invoices from a Matter articles.)
Discounts (also known as "Adjustments") can be applied both to individual User contributions, or proportionally across every User's contribution to an Invoice's Time Records.
Please note, this process is different from editing an Invoice's overall Time Records and/or Expenses. View the Edit and Adjust Invoices article for this process.
To apply a discount to an Invoice:
- In the sidebar, select Invoices ($), or select the Invoices tab on a Matter or Contact's page.
- Select an Invoice's Number, or select its Actions menu and select Open Invoice.
- In the Time Records section, select Adjustments.
- The Time Record Adjustments window displays all Users who have contributed Time Records to the Invoice, and their contribution amount.
Edit the New Total field to show the discount you wish to apply; this will distribute the discount across all Users proportionate to their contribution, however this can be changed.
- To alter how the discount is distributed, adjust amounts in the New Amount or Variation fields for the various Users displayed.
Please note, an individual User's Variation cannot exceed the total discount. Also, a User's Variation cannot exceed their Original Amount.
For example, a User with an Original Amount of $500 cannot have a Variation of -$550 applied, as this would result in a negative balance.
Further, the total User Variations must equal the total discount; a message will display the amount in error if the two totals do not match.
- When all Variations are made, select OK to apply the changes, then select Save in the Invoice's page.
Please note, any Variations will also display in the Time Records section after being applied, with the original amounts shown beneath the new amounts.
The Sub Total, Total GST, and Total amount due (shown in the left-hand column) will also automatically update.
Please note, to revert adjustments back to the Time Record's original amount, select Adjustment and set the New Total to match the Original Total number that is displayed.
Mark Down, Payment, Reduce, Cut, Cutback