Funds can be moved from one Matter's Trust fund to another Matter's Trust fund via a Trust Journal. This can be useful when a client has multiple Matters with your organisation, and requests funds be moved between Matters.
Please note, if you have multiple Trust Accounts in mattero, funds can only be transferred between Matters associated with the same Trust Account. (View the Create a Trust Account article for more information.)
Further, a Trust Journal transaction must be authorised by a person in your organisation, and this person must be a Contact in mattero. (View the Create a Contact article for more information.)
Moving Trust Funds between Matters
To move Trust funds between Matters:
- From any page, select the Create button, then select Trust Record
- In the window that opens, select Journal.
- In the Trust Journal window, select a Trust Account and Date of Transfer.
Please note, the Trust Account field defaults to your organisation's default Trust Account (view the Create a Trust Account article for more information), however a different account can be selected.
- Select a From Matter and To Matter to confirm where the funds will be taken from and where they will be sent.
Please note, if you are on a Matter's page when you select the Create button (in Step 1), the To Matter field defaults to this Matter, however this can be changed.
Further, if you are on a Matter's page the Trust Account field defaults to the Matter's Trust Fund.
- Enter the Amount to be transferred.
- Enter a person's name in the Authorised By field; this person must be entered as a Contact in mattero (view the Create a Contact article for more information).
Please note, if you are on Matter's page, this field defaults to the Matter's Lawyer, however this can be changed. Further, the person in the Authorised By field will be required to sign an authorisation form later in this process.
- Enter a Description, and attach any files and documents (or drag and drop) relevant to the transaction as needed.
- Download Authorisation... is enabled by default; this downloads a copy of the Authorisation form (required to be signed by the person entered in the Authorised By field) to your device.
Please note, this form can be downloaded manually via the Trust Ledger (as shown in Step 12), however it is recommended you download the form at this time.
- When all fields are filled, select Save.
Please note, once a Trust Journal is saved, it cannot be edited.
- Have the person in the Authorised By section sign the form (either in print or digitally) and save the signed form to your device.
- The signed Trust Journal Transfer Authorisation form will now need to be uploaded to the Trust Journal recording the transfer; select the Trust section in the sidebar, then select Trust Ledger.
- Both Matters record the transaction in the Trust Ledger; select the Actions menu of either Trust Journal, and select View Journal.
Please note, both Trust Journals will be updated regardless of which Journal is selected.
Further, if the Trust Journal Transfer Authorisation form was not downloaded during Step 8, it can be downloaded via the Actions menu here.
- In the window that opens, attach the signed form (or drag and drop), then select Save.
Journalling, Matter Trust, Trust Accounting, Administration, Trust Payment