mattero has a suite of Trust Reports available. These reports must be run at the end of the month as part of the reconciliation process.
The Trust Reports can be run over a specific date range and the trust transactions are reported via input date. This is the date the trust transactions have been entered into mattero.
To generate a Trust Report:
- On the sidebar, select Reports.
- From the Reports page, navigate to the Trust Reports section.
- Select a Trust Report.
- Click on the Date Range filter, then select a Date from and Date to date. By default, the prior month will be set.
- Select a Trust Account. The default Trust Account will be automatically pre-filled.
- Select Submit.
Once a report has been generated it can be published.
Trust Ledger Report
The trust ledger report lists all transactions grouped by the client and matter. Of the trust reports you can create with mattero, the trust ledger provides the broadest range of information, giving a full history of trust transactions and matter balances.
Trust Cash Book Report
Use the trust cash book report to obtain a list of receipt and payment trust transactions between a set period of time, including cancellations.
The report gives both receipt and payment transactions by default, but you can choose from the Transaction Type dropdown menu to filter only receipt or payment transactions:
While all transactions for that trust account appear in the Amount column, only EFT, credit card, and bank deposits will show in the Banked Amount column. The Banked Amount column will not appear if filtering for payments.
Trust Trial Balance Report
The trust trial balance report displays a list of matters and the current total balance of the assigned trust account. As well as the total matter balance, this report shows the cashbook balance as at the date of the report and any the amount of any statutory deposits.
Note that any statutory deposit amounts for your Law Society Matter are excluded from the list of matters. Because the balance of statutory deposits is displayed and compared against the matter total balance and cashbook balance, the variance should be 0.
Trust Overdrawn Report
A report for determining any trust transactions that have overdrawn the trust bank account or any matter trust balances. Any overdrawn balances display red on the report.
There are many ways in which an account can become overdrawn, such as a client’s cheque being dishonoured, because of a bank error, or incorrect amount has been recorded in the trust account deposit. In these cases, it might be relevant to contact the law society of your state or country for best practices.
Statutory deposits are excluded from this report.
Trust Journal Report
The trust journal report lists trust journals where trust funds have been transferred from one matter to another. It lists the matter details and client name for each matter, the reason for the transfer and the person within the firm who authorised the journal to be processed.
Trust Audit Report
The trust audit report displays a chronological sequence of the creation and update of clients and matters within mattero. The report clearly displays the value before and after and the date and time stamp of when the record was created or updated.
Creating a Trust Report
To create a trust record report:
- Go to the Reports page from the left navigation menu.
- Choose the type of report from the Trust Reports section. Before you are taken to the reports screen, you will be able to filter the trust account and the date range for the report. For the cashbook report, you will be given a filter so that mattero will show payments or receipts (defaults to both).
- mattero then gathers the report information and shows you a draft version of the report:
- This view comes with the following functions:
- Open Filters: Change the date range and trust account for the report. For the trust cashbook report, you can choose between Payment and Receipt transaction types (defaults to both).
- Publish: Publish the report. By default, the report is given a title based on the type of report, date, and trust account, but you can change it if necessary. This saves the currently viewed report to the Published Reports tab from the Reports page on the left navigation menu. Publishing these reports is part of the monthly trust reconciliation process. See the Trust Reconciliation page for more information.
- Change page: Navigate between pages of the report.
- Toggle Multi-page mode: View only one page of the report at a time or multiple.
- Zoom: Zoom in or out on any part of the report.
- Edit fields: Not available in mattero.
- Print: Send the whole report to the printer. The outcome may depend on your computer’s printer settings.
- Print Page: Send the page of the report currently on screen to the printer.
- Export report: Export the report to your local file system. Click on the icon to get a list of available formats including PDF, XLS, and DOCX. Note that you can click on the Settings cog on the right panel to configure your report using a list of advanced export options depending on the file type.
- Search: Bring up the Search panel to search for a word or element within the report.
- Full Screen: Open the reports panel to full-screen. Click the button again to return to the report within mattero.
- When you have constructed the report:
- Publish the report by clicking on the Publish button. This will save the report as a PDF to the Published Reports tab, found in the Reports section where you can either preview or download the report any numbers of times. When you click on the Publish button, you can enter a new description, which becomes the title once it appears in the Published Reports tab.
- Optionally, export the report to download it to your file system in a range of formats.
Once published, each report type is given a report number, starting at 1 and rising incrementally each time the type of report is published. For example, if this is the third time the Trust Ledger report has been created and published, the Report Number will be 3, even if other trust reports have been created.