mattero provides the basic information required to identify a Matter. However, you can also create Matter Custom Fields to store additional information specific to the Matter, and organise these fields into groups.
For example, if you have a Matter related to a Conveyancing Purchase, you may want to have the Building & Pest Inspection Date or the Settlement Date added as Custom Fields.
After creation, Matter Custom Fields are also available when editing a Matter's details.
- Creating Matter Custom Fields
- Editing and Deleting a Matter Custom Fields
- Show Matter Custom Fields in Reports
Creating Matter Custom Fields
To create a Matter Custom Field:
- On the sidebar, select System ().
- Under Custom Fields, select Matter Custom Fields.
- Matter Custom Fields are categorised into Custom Field Groups; if you have no Custom Field Groups configured, first select Create New Group.
If you have already configured Custom Field Groups, proceed to Step 5.
- Enter a Name, then select Ok.
Once a Custom Group has been created, you can drag and drop them to re-arrange the order in which these Groups will display in the Details tab of a Matter.
- Select Create New Custom Field
- Enter a Name, select a Field Type from the dropdown menu, and select a Custom Field Group. Select a Practice Area as needed (if no Practice Area is selected, the field will apply to all Practice Areas by default).
- Select the Mandatory and Enabled fields as needed. Setting a field as Mandatory means its information must be filled to save the Details of a Matter; the Enabled field configures whether the field appears on a Matter.
- Selecting certain Field Types will cause the Default Value field to appear; this field applies a certain value (such as Text, Contact information, or a dollar amount) on the creation of a Contact.
Note: the Default Value field will not appear or apply when creating a Date Field Type or Calculated Custom Field Type.
- If the Field Type is set to 'Contact', the Restrict Contact Selection option will appear. If this is selected, a Contact Selection List will become available; you can add existing Contacts to this list to ensure they are the only options available when completing this field in mattero.
For example, if you create a Custom Field named 'Barristers', you can add your organisation's barristers to the Contact Selection List, so that only these people will be available for selection when assigning Contacts to a role on a Matter.
This can be done with any group of Contacts in mattero to ensure people with the right skillset are always assigned to a certain role.
(View the 'Assigning and Accessing Matter Contacts' section of the Matter Contacts article for more information.)
Further, you can use the arrows beside each Contact to organise their order in the list, and use the Delete icon to remove Contacts from the list.
- When all selections are made, select Ok.
Editing and Deleting Matter Custom Fields
To edit or delete a Matter Custom Field:
- Select the Actions icon on a Matter Custom Field to open its menu, and select Edit Details, Mark as Disabled, Mark as Mandatory, or Delete as needed.
If a Matter Custom Field is already Mandatory, select Mark as Not Mandatory to make it non-mandatory.
Note: if Mark as Not Mandatory is selected, the Matter Custom Field will no longer be displayed on the Matter creation form when creating a Matter.
- If Edit Details is selected, make changes as needed, then select Ok.
Note: an option to 'Show in Reports' may appear with some Matter Custom Fields; view the Show Matter Custom Fields in Reports section of this article below, for more information.
- If Delete is selected, a pop-up window will be displayed asking you to confirm the action.
Note: if the Custom Field is currently in use in one or more Matters, it can't be deleted; instead, a window will display all Matters the Custom Field is being used on.
In these cases, the Custom Field will need to be removed from each Matter before it can be deleted.
A variety of bulk actions can also be applied to multiple Matter Custom Fields at once.
To apply a Bulk Action:
- Hold Shift or CTRL and select two or more Contact Custom Fields, then select Bulk Actions.
- Select Enable Fields or Disable Fields to enable or disable the selected Matter Custom Fields.
- Select Mark as Mandatory or Mark as Not Mandatory to configure the mandatory status of the selected Matter Custom Fields.
- Select Add Group to add the selected Matter Custom Fields to another Custom Field Group and select a Group from the list that appears. Note: this will not remove the Matter Custom Fields from their original Group, and they will instead appear in both Custom Field Groups.
- Select Remove Group to remove the selected Matter Custom Fields from a Custom Field Group, and select a Group from the list that appears.
- Select Move to Group to move the selected Matter Custom Fields from one Custom Field Group to another. Note: this will remove the Contact Custom Fields from their original Group.
- Select Add Practice Area to add the selected Matter Custom Fields to a chosen Practice Area.
- Select Remove Practice Area to remove the selected Matter Custom Fields from any Practice Areas they have been added to.
- Select Reports, and then Show in Reports or Hide from Reports to configure the Matter Custom Fields' appearance on the Matter Balances and Matter List reports. (View the Show Matter Custom Fields in Reports section of this article for more information.)
Show Matter Custom Fields in Reports
To display a Matter Custom Field in these reports:
- Select the Actions menu of a Matter Custom Field and select Show in Reports (or Hide from Reports if it's already selected to Show in Reports).
Note: if the Show in Reports option can't be selected, this Matter Custom Field cannot be shown in a report.
Also, you can display all Matter Custom Fields configured to show in reports by selecting the Show in Reports filter at the top.
- Alternatively, select Edit Details.
- If Edit Details is selected, select or deselect Show in Reports as needed.
Note: if this option does not appear, this Matter Custom Field cannot be shown in a report.
- Select Ok.
Once you check the Show in Reports box for a Custom Field and select Ok, it can be added to the Matter Balances and Matter List Reports with the following steps:
- Select the Column Chooser () icon in the Report.
- A Column Chooser window will pop up, displaying the Custom Fields that you have chosen to 'Show in Reports'.
- You can drag and drop any Custom Field to the list of columns in the Report.
To view the Custom Field in the Matter Balances and Matter List Reports:
The Custom Field Column is displayed when you drag and drop it from the Column Chooser to the list of columns in the Report. You can filter the view further to see the details of the Custom Field (i.e. Date, Contact Details etc.).
- From the Matter Status dropdown, select Open.
- From the Practice Area dropdown, choose the Practice Area that your Custom Field falls under.
- Your Custom Field details will be displayed in the new column you have added.
Note: we've used the Matter Balances Report to illustrate adding the Custom Field Column. Follow the same instructions to add the Custom Field Column to the Matter List Report as well.
View the article on Reports to learn how to view and configure the Matter Balances and Matter List Reports.
Custom Data, Building and Pest, Custom Date, Driver's Licence, Matter Balances, Matter List, Custom Field