Document Templates are Microsoft Word files uploaded to, and merged with data from, mattero.
You can create Documents from the Templates you've uploaded to mattero, allowing certain information (such as Client names, Due Dates, and more) to be automatically added to a new file.
Once created, these files can be edited and adjusted like any other document. (View the Edit Documents article for more information.)
Please note, you must have uploaded at least one Document Template to mattero before proceeding. (View the Upload Files as Document Templates article for more information.)
Creating a Matter Document from a Template
To create a Matter Document from a template:
- In the Documents tab of a Matter, select Documents Mode
- Select the New button, then select Document from Template.
- Select a Template. Please note, this field autocompletes; writing the first letters of a Template will search for a list of matching Templates.
Please note, you must clear this field to search for a new Template; select the Clear (x) icon to clear the search field.
Further, once the Template is selected, all variables applied to the Document will display in the "Variables in the Document" window that appears. (Any Custom Fields or other fields related to the Template will appear as well.)
- Fill out any fields that appear when the Template is selected as needed. (View the Create and Edit Matter Custom Fields article for more information.)
- The Document Title generates automatically from the Template; edit this as needed.
- Select Tags for the Document (or enter new Tags) as needed.
Please note, Document Tags provide greater flexibility in sorting, filtering, and classifying your Documents in mattero; any Tags set on the Template are automatically applied to any Documents created via this Template.
- Select Save as Word or Save as PDF as needed.
- Select Save and Preview to open a preview panel display of the Document with all variables highlighted (this version will not be saved to mattero).
Alternatively, select Save and Merge to generate the Document and save it to the Documents tab of the Matter.
Please note, if Save and Merge is selected, the variables will not be highlighted in the final version.
Word Template, File, Fields, Variables, Layout