Testing Document Templates
To test a Document Template:
- On the sidebar, select System ().
- Under Documents, select Document Templates.
- In the Document Templates tab, select the Actions menu of the Document Template you wish to test, then select Modify Details.
- In the window that opens, consult the Related To field; the information in this field is where you will test the Document Template.
For example, if the Related To field displays "Matter", you will need to test the file in the Documents section of a Matter.
- You will need to generate a Document from the Template you are testing in its relevant Related To area. For example, in the Documents section of a Matter, or by creating an Invoice on the Invoices page, etc.
(If you are unsure of how to generate the relevant Document, consult the Knowledge Base for more information on how to create Invoices, Trust Receipts, Payments and so on.)
Please note, if you are in a Matter, you must also select Documents Mode before selecting New and Document From Template.
- In the page that opens, select a Document Template from the dropdown list, then enter a Document Title and fill out any remaining fields as needed.
Please note, the image below displays creating a "Matter Template", however this page's name and layout will change depending on the page you are on ("Contact Template", "Trust Reconciliation" etc.).
- This page may also display a list of all Variables in the Document; if so, review this to confirm the information to appear once the final version of the file is generated from the Document Template.
- When all information is entered, select Save and Preview.
- A preview of the file will generate from the Document Template with all Variables highlighted in yellow; review the preview to confirm the information presented is correct.
If any information is incorrect or missing, you will need to edit the Document Template to resolve these issues.
(View the Edit Document Templates article for this process.)
Word Template, File, Fields, Variables, Layout, Testing Quality Control