Once an Invoice is created, the amount charged to a client for a provided service can be increased. This is applied to the Time Records within the Invoice's Costs. (For more information on creating an Invoice, view the Create Invoices and Create Invoices from a Matter articles.)
Write-ups (also known as "Adjustments") can be applied both individually or as a whole to an Invoice's Time Records.
Please note, this process is different from editing an Invoice's overall Time Records and/or Expenses. View the Edit and Adjust Invoices article for this process.
To apply a discount to an Invoice:
- In the sidebar, select Invoices ($), or select the Invoices tab on a Matter or Contact's page.
- Select an Invoice's Number, or select its Actions menu and select Open Invoice.
- In the Time Records section, select Adjustments.
- The Time Record Adjustments window displays all Users who have contributed Time Records to the Invoice, and their contribution amount.
Edit the New Total field to show the write-up you wish to apply; this will distribute the write-up across all Users proportionate to their contribution, however this can be changed.
- To alter how the write-up is distributed, adjust amounts in the New Amount or Variation fields for the various Users displayed.
Please note, an individual User's Variation cannot exceed the total write-up, and the total User Variations must equal the total write-up; a message will display the amount in error if the two totals do not match.
- When all Variations are made, select OK to apply the changes, then select Save in the Invoice's page.
Please note, any Variations will also display in the Time Records section after being applied, with the original amounts shown beneath the new amounts.
The Sub Total, Total GST, and Total amount due (shown in the left-hand column) will also automatically update.
Please note, to revert adjustments back to the Time Record's original amount, select Adjustment and set the New Total to match the Original Total number that is displayed.