Security Roles define which areas and what functions a User can access, setting their permissions within your organisation's mattero account.
You can create various Security Roles with various levels of access, and assign one or more Users to these roles as needed.
Please note, if no Security Roles are created, all Users will have full access.
Creating and Editing Security Roles
To create a Security Role:
- In the sidebar, select System ().
- Under Users, select Security Roles.
- The Security Roles page displays all current Security Roles, as well as an overview of the permissions each role holds.
Select the Members entries for a list of Users assigned to a Security Role, or select Create New to create a new Security Role.
- If Create New is selected, enter a Name for the Security Role, then select from the various Policies available as needed; when all selections are made, select Save.
Please note, the first Security Role you create must include the Edit System Settings permission, with the Users sub-permission also selected. This will allow you to create and edit new Security Roles.
It is strongly recommended a Security Role with all permissions be created first and assigned to your organisation's top administrator, to ensure all aspects of mattero can be accessed by at least one User in your organisation.
Further, if a Security Role is given the Manage Trust permission, this role should also be given access to all Practice Areas for your Matters.
Please note, Security Roles can also be configured to only access certain Practice Areas.
View the Configure Practice Areas article (or view the Editing and/or Deleting Security Roles section of this article below) for more information.
Assigning and/or Removing Security Roles
Once a Security Role is created, it can be assigned to one or more Users.
To assign a User:
- Select the Actions menu of a Security Role, then select Add/Remove Users.
- In the window that opens, enter a User's name, then select Add User to add them to the Security Role.
Please note, a person must be registered as a User in mattero before they can be assigned a Security Role. (View the Create User Accounts article for more information.)
- Alternatively, to remove a User from a Security Role, select their Remove icon.
- When all Security Roles have been assigned and removals are made, select the Save button.
Please note, once this process is complete, any Users assigned or removed from a Security Role will automatically be refreshed in mattero.
Editing and/or Deleting Security Roles
Existing Security Roles can have permissions (and the Practice Areas they can access) added or removed at any time.
Please note, you cannot remove a User and Security Role permission from your own account.
To edit a Security Role:
- Select its Actions menu, the select Edit Details and make changes as needed in the window that opens.
- Alternatively, select Edit Practice Area Access to configure which Practice Areas the Security Role can access.
This opens the Practice Area page in mattero; view the Configure Practice Areas article for more information on how to edit Practice Area Security Role access.
- To delete a Security Role, select Delete; in the confirmation window that opens, select Yes.
Access, Security, Permission, Role, Clearance